Bharata Mata College is a first grade arts and science co-educational institution in the aided sector owned and managed by the Archdiocese of Ernakulam Angamaly. Established in July 1965 by the late Cardinal Joseph Parecattil and situated at Thrikkakara facing the new Seaport-Airport road, it is affiliated to the Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam. The college was included under section 2(f) and 12(b) of UGC Act 1956 in 1976 and accredited at the B level by NAAC in 2003. In 2014, the college got A Grade by the NAAC Accreditation.
Bharata Mata- the ‘thilak’ of Thrikkakara
The college is located in the semi urban locality of Thrikkakara– symbolizing the union of the ancient glory of a mythical utopia associated with the ideal fertility King Mahabali, as well as realizing the dreams of an emerging Kerala and progressive India represented by the tech savvy Smart City. Situated at a distance of just 12 KMs from the city of Kochi, it is easily accessible from Judgemukku on Edappally-Moovattupuzha road in the north and from NGO Quarters and Palli Stop on the Kakkanadu- Ernakulam Road in the south, in adition to the BMC bus stop on the Seaport-Airport Road. It stands in the vicinity of such landmarks like CUSAT, NPOL, Model Engineering College , Ernakulam District Collectorate, Rajagiri College of Engineering, Infopark and CEZ .
The legendary rural landscape of Thrikkakkara was installed into the portals of the historic progress and development of our country with the institution of a centre for Higher Education in its lap- Bharata Mata College. Realizing the vision and mission of its founder His Eminence the late Joseph Cardinal Parecattil to cater to the educational aspirations of socially and economically marginalized sections of the rural sector, the Bharata Mata College started functioning with five pre-degree batches on June 16, 1965, bearing on its crest the motto- For God and Country. Late V. Rev. Msgr. Varghese Kavalakatt (1965-1970) was the first manager of the college and Late Rev. Fr.S.H. Antony CMI was the first Principal.
The college was upgraded in 1970 with four degree courses in English, Economics, Botany and Zoology. Today the College is a nationally accredited first grade college with 17 undergraduate and 4 post-graduate programmes, 2 professional programmes, 3 research centres and an off-campus centre.
More than 65% of the student community are girls. The community comprises of around 1700 students, nearly 100 teachers and about 38 members of non teaching staff. The dedication of the management and the community combined with excellent infrastructural and teaching facilities help to maintain high standards in curricular and co-curricular spheres of the institution.
In keeping with the lofty vision of its founder, Bharata Mata College is a melting-pot of students from all communities and creeds., thus preserving a secular character by promoting the crystal ideal of love and service.