Botany students of the college on
terrarium, flower arrangements, bonsai etc
In July 1965, the department of biology was established to handle the pre-degree classes. In 1970, a full-fledged department was formed with the commencement of B.Sc. Botany Course with a sanctioned strength of 36 students. The department started under the headship of Rev. Sr. Janitta S.D. The department aims to develop an aptitude towards science and nature there by achieving academic excellence. The faculty also trains the students in Laboratory skills and encourages them to pursue higher studies, research and entrepreneurship.
- To be a “centre for Excellence”
- To discover, maintain and transmit knowledge concerning basic plant biology and provide leadership in the biological sciences.
- To expand academic co-operation by offering new courses and upgrading programs to a wider spectrum of students and researchers.
- To conduct innovative research, teaching and outreach on the patterns and processes of life with a focus on plants and their environments
- To impart good quality education to students with a special focus on plant science and applied areas.
- To kindle the spirit of innovation and research in students through practical and innovative learning.
- To transform students to worthy citizens having social and moral commitments.
- To Mould students for project presentation and publications
The four faculty members are actively engaged in academic, extension and outreach programmes and among them two are PhD degree holders. Prof. Jacob Varghese is a much sought after horticulturist, expert in landscaping, columnist. He serves as landscape consultant for Southern Naval Command residential Complex and conducts horticulture awreness programmes in various TV channels and has 8 books to his credit. Some of our students secured prizes in various intercollegiate quiz programmes. Chandini A. S secured A+ & IV rank in M G University B.Sc Degree CBCSS exam 2016
- Short term workshop for vocational higher secondary students on horticulture, landscaping, flower arrangements etc
- Hands on training for Botany students of the college on terrarium, flower arrangements, bonsai etc
- Hands on training for Botany students of the college on preparation of vegetable seedlings using innovative techniques.
- Vegetable cultivation in the campus premises.
- Power point presentation
- Board & pen
- Spontaneous class tests
- Routine Test papers
The department has two laboratories and a library enriched with around 2300 books which includes recent books and latest editions