many non chordate and chordate
bottled and stuffed specimens.
From the time of inception of Bharata Mata College in 1965, Prof. P.P.John was a Faculty member in Zoology. Zoology as an Under Graduate department started in the year 1970 with a sanctioned strength of 36 students and Dr. A. Madhavan as the Head of the Department. The department has had a rich tradition of inculcating good values in students, apart from imparting knowledge to them. True to the spirit of its motto “Sarvajeevi Mangalam”, the Zoology students are moulded into individuals having concern for their fellow beings and environment. Nurtured over the years by the stalwarts, the Zoology department stands high by all means.
The department has a vibrant group of teachers, who ensure, the department achieves the highest possible standards of excellence in all its activities. Two minor projects, funded by UGC have been successfully completed. Dr. Simi Joseph P , Asst. Professor was selected for FLAIR Fostering Linkages in Academic Innovation and Research – an initiative of the Department of Higher Education, Government of Kerala. An MOU with Unibiosys Biotech Research Labs, S. Kalamassery, Kochi, for co-operation in the field of Research, Technology & Transfer since 2014 speaks volumes about the scientific prowess. The department also has an MOU with Soukhya Foundation of Wellness Solution and in collaboration with them conducts a certificate course on ‘Health and Wellness’. The department has always been keen on non-scholastic development of students. Championship in Arts Festival many a times is a testimony to this. The department has an active Zoology Association and a nature club Friends Of Fauna (FOF), an extension wing of Zoology association. Department of Zoology has been publishing a manuscript magazine christened ‘Nautilus’ since 1989 to nurture the soft skills of our students. The zoology department has bagged the “Best Zoology Association Award” and the “Best Manuscript Magazine Award” instituted by The Zoological Society of Kerala, many a times. The well set ‘Zoology Museum’ has a good collection of bottled and stuffed specimens.
- Zoology museum with many non chordate and chordate bottled and stuffed specimens.
- Manuscript magazine – ‘Nautilus’ is being released annually since 1988.
- Ample opportunities open to students to equip them for self employment.
- The Zoology department has bagged the "Best Zoology Association Award" and the "Best Manuscript Magazine Award" instituted by The Zoological Society of Kerala, many a time
- The department has a Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU) with Unibiosys Biotech Research Labs, S. Kalamassery, Kochi for co-operation in the field of Research, Technology & Transfer and for the collaborative conduct of seminars and workshops.
- Classroom lectures using Audio-Visual aids (PPTs, you tube videos, slide sharing)
- Laboratory demonstrations
- Seminars & Assignments
- Library work
- Group activities
- Field Trips
- Visit to Scientific Institutions
- Study Tours
- Nature Camps
- Individual investigatory projects
- Regular questioning and test papers
- Quiz & debate on relevant topics
- Chart preparation
The department has a well set
- Zoology Museum
- Anatomy Lab
- Library and reading room
- A Computer room
- 3 class rooms with LCD Projector
- 1 class room has Internet facility