- Apply for the post of Assistant Professor in the Department of B Com Finance & Taxation and Computer Application
- Applications are invited to the following Non-Teaching Staff posts of Mechanic-1, Office Attendant-5
- MBA Admission Started for 2023-2025 Batch
- Application for two year full- time MSW programme invited. Apply online
faculty and students
The Department started functioning concurrent to the founding of the College on June 16, 1965, with five Pre Degree batches. On July 28, 1970, with the commencement of the degree course, it was conferred the official status of The Department of English with a sanctioned strength of 24 students. Rev. Dr. C. A Abraham was the first Head of the Department. On October 17, 2013 the department was upgraded to the status of Post Graduate Department of English with the launch of M.A. Programme in English. The course is intended to introduce the students to the interrelationship between paradigms of social formation, to know and appreciate literature and establish connections across frontiers of disciplines. The students become competent to critically engage with culture, gender and marginality and become acquainted with narration and representation. They are also put on track to become potent and effective teachers and pass on their linguistic and cultural skills onto the coming generations with the firm foundation they receive from the department.
The effervescent faculty of the English Department is renowned for their unfeigned love for students and literature. The commitment and dedicated faculty has been successfully moulding generations of sensitive and humane citizens who are socially inclined. Among 9 permanent faculty, 5 are doctorate holders, 4 are M.Phil holders, and three others are currently pursuing research. The department has completed five Minor Research Projects funded by UGC. There are nearly 100 research publications in in UGC CARE listed peer reviewed journals and book chapters. The department co-ordinates the activities of various clubs like Literary Club, Debate Club and Dance Club. The PG students also attend seminars, present papers in National and Regional Seminars and publish them. Students are encouraged to participate in collegiate and intercollegiate competitions and regularly win prizes. Our students get admission in universities across Canada and UK and also in reputed Indian institutions like IIT Ropar, EFLU etc. Many are successfully placed in different firms across the country and abroad
- International conference and Academic seminars conducted every year.
- Focus on holistic development of students with a combination of academic, artistic, teambuilding, dramatic and digital activities.
- Mega annual intercollegiate Fest- Chrysalis.
- Pro-life outreach programmes like Chrysalis Care – A charity venture from the proceeds of Chrysalis, a Mega event to help inmates of orphanages, houses for the differently-abled and old age homes.
- Vibrant and committed faculty and students
- Wall magazines on topics of literary and social relevance are regularly published
- A well written and artistically illustrated manuscript magazine, a platform showcasing the literary and artistic skills of the students , is unveiled every year.
- A judicious combination of lecture method, elicitation and ICT enabled input and interaction.
- Seminar presentation by students enabling them to locate, arrange and present information on various topics.
- Making short films based on academic content
- Script-writing and dramatization of content leading to the students developing confidence, literary skills and spoken and enunciation skills.
- Role play is used as an effective way of teaching for better comprehension.
- Students are encouraged to appreciate, interpret and critically evaluate literature.
- Creative ways of responding to a given topic, like doodling, cartooning, poster making, poetry writing etc., is encouraged.
- The students are given ample opportunities to build their conversational skills through interaction with the real world through various activities and events.
- Regular submission of assignments.
- Mandatory submission of projects by UG and PG students
- Tests and evaluation held regularly.
- Remedial classes held for students needing extra attention.
- Advanced students given extra tasks.
Classrooms with LCD projectors, Language Lab, Department Library and Staff room on the top floor of the main block of the college. The department has 2 Desktop computers, a laptop, CD players, microphone and speakers.
A well-equipped language lab which has 30 desktop computers with inbuilt language learning software’s to enable students to acquire exposure to listening, speaking and reading in the correct manner of pronunciation.