4 colleges under MG University offering
M.Sc. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Department of Chemistry is recognized as an approved Research Centre of M.G. University in 2011. The two approved research guides are Dr. Shiny Palaty and Dr. Dileesh S.
Areas of Research: Polymer nanocomposites, Metal Oxide Nanoparticles, Conducting Polymers etc.
The Department of Chemistry started functioning from the very inception of the college. Prof. Kurias J Kadavan was the illustrious founder member of the department who became the Head of the Department of Chemistry in 1965. The degree course in Chemistry started in 1982with a sanctioned strength of 32 students. The PG Course in M.Sc. Pharmaceutical Chemistry started in 1999. The department aims at enabling the students to acquire an ability to think rationally and critically, and to apply the knowledge of chemistry in making judgements and solving problems.
There are 8 teachers in the department out of which 4 arePh.Dholdersand one has anM.Phil in Nano Science and Nanotechnology.Three teachers are pursuing their Ph.Dand about six research scholars are working towards their Ph.D degree in our Research Centre.Three major projects and four minor projects successfully have been completed by the faculty.Dr. Shiny Palatywashonoured with the Best teacher award in 2014 for her contributions in teaching and research.
- Experienced faculty with excellent profile from recognized institutions
- One among the 4 colleges under MG University offering M.Sc in Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Annual International and National Conferences, Seminars and Workshops
- Consistent Academic results with top University Ranks for M.Sc
- MoUs with Industries and Pharma companies which help students for placement and training
- Industrial and lab visits
- Conducts quiz for students based on their syllabus
- Wall magazines are posted by students on contemporary and relevant topics in Chemistry
- Students of the department regularly attend seminars and workshops on the subject.
- In house Project works of students are carried out in our own Research Centre and the resultant papers are presented and published in reputed journals.
The department has five PG-UG laboratories, one research lab, a computer lab, and a chemical store room. The department also has a well stocked library with around 5000 books and 6 journals which meets the needs of students, research scholars and the faculty. Subscriptions to various journals of national and international repute keep the department updated with the current trends in the subject.